Ophthalmologist, Global Ophthalmic Volunteer, Anti-Landmine and Cluster Munitions Activist
- Residency Ophthalmology: Dept. of Ophthalmology, West Virginia Univ. Health Sciences Center 1969-1972
- MD: West Virginia Univ. School of Medicine, Morgantown 1962-1966
- Fellowship Tropical Medicine: Louisiana State Univ. School of Medicine 1967
- Captain, US Army Medical Corps 1967-1969 including General Medical Officer, 7th Surgical Hospital, 11th Armored Cavalry, Blackhorse Regiment, Xuan Loc Oct. 1967-Apr. 1968 and Battalion Surgeon, 7/11 Artillery Battalion, 25th Infantry Division, First Brigade, Tay Ninh May-Oct. 1968, Republic of Viet Nam.
- Diplomate, American Board of Ophthalmology 1975.
- Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology & Consultant, Louis Johnson Veterans Administration Hospital, Clarksburg, WV 1991-1993, and 2009-present.
- Clinical Professor 1994-present, Clinical Associate Professor 1982-1994, and Assistant Professor 1975-1976 and 1980-1982, Dept. of Ophthalmology, West Virginia Univ. Health Sciences Center, Morgantown, WV.
- Clinical Associate Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine 1990-1997, WVU Health Sciences Center, Morgantown, WV.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, School of Public Health & Tropical Medicine, Tulane Univ., New Orleans, LA 1992-present
- Member of numerous human rights/justice, medical, conservation/natural history/environment, ornithology/botany/natural history/ and music societies, clubs and fraternities.
- Coordinator, Veterans Administration Ophthalmology Services, WVU Health Sciences Center 1991-1992.
- EXCEL Foundation Professor, Department of Community Medicine, WVU School of Medicine 1989-1990.
- Consultant, International Eye Foundation 1989-1993.
- IEF/Sight Savers Consultant in Ophthalmology to the Ministry of Health, Government of Zimbabwe, and Honorary Lecturer in Ophthalmology, University of Zimbabwe School of Medicine, Harare, Zimbabwe 1986-1989.
- Medical Coordinator, IEF Malawi 1985-1986.
- Project Director, IEF Malawi Blindness Prevention and Training Project, and Consultant Ophthalmologist, Malawi Ministry of Health’s Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, Blantyre, Malawi 1983-1985.
- Honorary Lecturer, Lilongwe Medical Training Centre, Malawi Ministry of Health 1983-1985.
- Assistant Project Director, IEF Kenya Rural Blindness Prevention Project, and Honorary Lecturer in Ophthalmology, Nakuru Medical Training Center, Kenya Ministry of Health, Nakuru, Kenya 1976-1980.
- Adviser, Physicians for Human Rights, WVU Chapter, Sept. 2001-present.
- Trachoma Technical Advisory Group, Helen Keller International, July 2001-present.
- Served(s) on over 25 professional & scientific committees, participated in 5 research studies/surveys (mainly with IEF overseas), written 5 ophthalmology texts & 3 ophthalmology book chapters, authored over 50 scientific articles, given 3 endowed lectures, 19 guest lecturers, over 80 presentations worldwide, & edited 10 WHO publications on blindness.
- Honors: Senior Achievement Award 2003, Outstanding Humanitarian Service Award 1995, and Honor Award 1994/American Academy of Ophthalmology, The Proctor Humanitarian Award/Francis I. Proctor Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology 2001, International Agency for Prevention of Blindness Distinguished Service Award given at 6th General Assembly in Beijing 1999, Outstanding Human Rights Service Award, United Nations Assn. 1997, Outstanding Alumnus/Dept. of Ophthalmology/WVU 1997, Statesmanship Award/Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology 1994,+ 15 others.
- Who’s Who in the World 1995, in the East 1995, in Medicine & Healthcare 1994, in America 1994, in Science & Engineering 1993, and Who’s Who in the South 1993.
- Officer Brother, The Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem 1994 to present.
- Bronze Star with Valor for Heroism in Ground Combat Operations (non-combatant), Fire Support Base Maury May 9, 1968 and Bronze Star, First Oak Leaf Cluster for Meritorious Service 1967-1968, US Army, Republic of Viet Nam.
- IEF besides overseas assignments in Kenya, Malawi and Zimbabwe noted above
Memberships & Related Activities:
- IEF’s “Promotion of Peace & Vision Award”1997
- Senior Medical Director and Chair Medical Advisory Committee, Board of Directors; Executive Secretary, IEF Society of Eye Surgeons FY1994 to FY 1999